Serves: 10-12 pieces
Time: 30 mins
3tbs plain flour (heaped)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1tsp salt and pepper to taste
- Beat the egg in a bowl, add the sliced onion and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, ground coriander, cumin and turmeric and stir well to combine. Add the water and season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1cm depth sunflower oil in a deep-sided frying pan over a medium heat. When hot add a large spoonful of the bhaji mixture and fry for 30-45 seconds, until golden-brown.
- Turn the bhaji over and fry for a further 30 seconds, until crisp and golden-brown all over. Remove and drain on kitchen paper, sprinkle with salt to draw out some of the oil.
- Repeat with the remaining bhaji mixture, replenishing the oil in the pan if it runs low and allowing it to heat up again after a new addition.
- Serve immediately.