500g strong white bread flour
1½ tsp fine sea salt
25g fresh yeast/2tsp fast action/4tsp dried yeast
3tbs olive oil
For the filling 4tbs finely chopped parsley
6-8 chopped sundried tomatoes
2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
Optional filling chopped olives, roasted peppers, cheese
HOW TO PREPARE
- Sift the flour into a large bowl with the salt, fast action yeast and make a well in the centre. (if using fresh yeast crumble them in 100ml of warm water and leave till they foam. Once you add them into the dough use only 200ml of water to prepare the dough)
- Add the olive oil and enough water to the flour to make a soft dough, adding a little more water or more flour if required.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes by hand or for 5 minutes by machine to make a smooth, elastic dough.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with oiled clingfilm. Allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about an hour and a half.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºc/gm 6.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knock the dough back gently for 1 minute.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle or oval shape. Scatter the filling ingredients on top and roll the dough from longer side like a swiss roll. Cut the roll in 5cm pieces, cover them in oil from each side. Place the mini swirls cut side up and losely close together in the 23cm springform tin and cover with oiled clingfilm. Leave in a warm place to prove (rise again) for 20-30 minutes until the dough is soft and pillowy.
- Gently glaze the surface of the dough with egg wash.Bake in the preheated oven for 30-45 minutes until golden brown
- Transfer to a wire rack, allow to cool.