2 x 170g tuna steaks, pinboned
For the marinade:
½ tsp chilli flakes
10g fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
grated zest and juice of 1 lime
1½ tbs Demerara sugar
4 tbs medium sherry
1 tbs soy sauce
1tbs sesame oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
extra chilli and chopped fresh coariander for garnish
How to Prepare
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl, add the tuna and turn it in the marinade to cover.
- Cover the bowl and chill for one hour, turn the tuna in the marinade after 30 minutes.
- Drain the tuna reserving the marinade and pat dry on paper towel.
- Heat a large griddle or heavy based frying pan until smoking hot, add the tuna steaks and cook on a high heat until there are good griddle marks or the surface of the tuna is golden.
- Turn the tuna over and continue to cook over a high heat until you have similar colour but do not allow tuna to cook through – you should still be able to see the pink centre of the fish on the sides of the steaks, remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Add the reserved marinade to the pan and reduce to a syrupy consistency, serve over the tuna.