Makes 12-15 buns
450g wholemeal spelt flour
450g white spelt flour
3tsp fast action yeast
800g pumpkin puree
3tbs olive oil
egg yolk and drop of milk for glaze
pumpkin seeds to decorate
HOW TO PREPARE
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour and salt and mix in the yeast.
- Add the pumpkin puree and oil and make soft but not sticky dough, adding more flour or water as required.
- Knead by hand for 10 minutes or 4-5 minutes in an electric mixer with a dough hook, until smooth and elastic.
- Place in an oiled bowl and turn the dough to coat in the oil. Cover with clingfilm and allow to rise until doubled in size.
- Knock back the dough by kneading lightly then divide the dough into 12-15 pieces. Make the pieces into small balls. Flatten each ball slightly with the palm of your hand and using a small knife, make eight slices around the ball like petals on a flower. Make sure not to slice through the middle.
- Place the pumpkin buns on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment, cover, and let rise again until doubled in size, about 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºc/gas mark 6.
- When the dough has doubled in size, remove the clingfilm and brush the pumpkin buns with egg glaze. Bake for 12-15min or until risen and well browned. Check the dough after 7 minutes; if the crust is becoming too dark, cover with a tin foil.
Cool on a wire rack